Posted April 14, 2017
U.S. Department of Defense personnel and units that are responsible for meeting our military’s fuels needs were recognized for outstanding performances in 2016 during this week’s Defense Logistics Agency Worldwide Energy Conference. DLA, the military’s largest logistics combat support organization, issued more than 4 billion gallons of fuel during fiscal year 2016.
America’s oil and natural gas industry is proud to provide the reliable fuels that keep the U.S. military on guard for the rest of us. API was represented at the awards ceremony by Upstream Group Director Erik Milito – below, with Chief Warrant Officer 3 Jason Alderman, U.S. Marine Corps (center) and Master Sgt. Jeffrey Van Duzer, USMC (right):
Congratulations to all the winners, and thanks for your service.
Naval Excellence in Fuel Management Recognition
- Fuels Officer of the Year: Lt. Cmdr. Joshua Melchert, NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center, Jacksonville, Fla.
- Fuels Chief Petty Officer of the Year: ABFCS Criss Coleman, NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center, Yokosuka, Japan (Site Sasebo).
- Fuels Petty Officer of the Year: GSM2 Kristen Nicolas, USS Mason (DDG-87).
- Fuels Civilian of the Year: Digna Feria, NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center, San Diego.
- Outstanding Bulk Fuel Terminal: Defense Fuel Supply Point, Craney Island, Va.
- Outstanding Navy Retail Fuel Activity: NAS Fallon (Nev.).
- Outstanding Capitalized Unit Afloat: USNS Wally Schirra (T-AKE-8).
- Fuels Officer of the Year: Chief Warrant Officer 3 Chad Hentzel, 3rd Marine Logistics Group.
- Fuels Staff Non-Commissioned Officer of the Year: Gunnery Sgt. Ralph Wright, Marine Wing Support Squadron 172.
- Fuels Non-Commissioned Officer of the Year: Cpl. Demetrius Patterson, 7th Engineer Support Battalion.
- Civilian of the Year: Gregory Roberts, MCAS Cherry Point (N.C.).
- Outstanding Marine Corps Non-Tactical Fuel Activity: MCAS Cherry Point (N.C.).
- Outstanding Marine Corps Tactical Unit: Marine Support Squadron 172.
Army API Awards
- Tactical Pol Soldier of the Year: Staff Sgt. Vincent Dupree, 59th Quartermaster Company, Fort Carson, Colo.
- Tactical Operations Unit Award: 515th Transportation Company, 16th Sustainment Brigade, Baumholder, Germany.
- Fixed Facility Operations Awards/Sustaining Base Installation Award: U.S. Army Europe & Africa Supporting Laboratory, Kaiserlautern, Germany.
Air Force API Awards
- Air National Guard Outstanding Fuels Management Flight Award: 115th Fuels Management Flight, Traux Field, Madison, Wis.
- API Best in the Air Force Award: 354th Fuels Management Flight, Eielson AFB Alaska.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Mark Green joins API after spending 16 years as national editorial writer in the Washington Bureau of The Oklahoman newspaper. In all, he has been a reporter and editor for more than 30 years, including six years as sports editor at The Washington Times. He lives in Occoquan, Virginia, with his wife Pamela. Mark graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a degree in journalism and earned a masters in journalism and public affairs at American University. He's currently working on a masters in history at George Mason University, where he also teaches as an adjunct professor in the Communication Department.